Week 5 Story: Arabian Nights

Arabian Nights 

Bibliography: Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang arabian-nights-merchant-and-genius.html

This story starts with a young poor women. She did not have any money and would have to steal to get food to live off of. She admired the prince that lived in the town and yearned to get to know him. He came into the town to get too know the people he ruled over. during that time he ran into the poor women who lived in the town. He thought she was lovely but knew he couldn't like her because she was a women that lived on the streets with all the commoners which was not allowed. So he went back to his castle. 

The women was taken to a cave to find treasure for a man, he was too large to go in so he needed a women to go to retrieve what he wanted. The women went in and found the lamp that he was looking for and brought it back up for the man. But the women got away and took the lamp with her, leaving the man behind. The women wished to be a princess so she could marry the prince living in the castle. The genie in the lamp made her into the most wonderful princess with the most extravagant things. The prince saw her and thought she was beautiful but did not like how showy she was with all of her things. 

He decided to give her a chance so he met her anyways. She was a lovely women. He had met many princesses but none of them intrigued him like this princess did. He knew that she reminded him of someone but he could not figure it out. She came and surprised him on the balcony of his room because she wanted to get to know him better. They spent time together and he knew he was falling in love with her. He asked her to marry him and she said yes. They lived an amazing life and she told him the truth about who she was. 

Here is a picture of Aladdin in front of the cave where all the treasures are. 


Authors note: This story is from the original one of Arabian Nights. The story follows this main plot but instead the man is the poor one in the story and he is the one who goes into the cave to get the lamp. He makes the same wish of becoming a prince. And the rest of the story is the same with the exception of the sway of gender in the main characters. 

Comments

  1. Great story Sophie! I have always been a big fan of Aladdin, the movie that this story is based off of. I really liked how you changes the genders of the main characters and that the girl is the one to find the lamp and ask for the wish to be a princess, it is a great twist. I wonder what the man who was too large to get in the cave thought whenever the girl did not come back with his treasure. Maybe that could be your next story? How the man went on his way when the girl left him. Also, what if the price did not like the princess because the was too showy, what if he decided not to pursue a relationship with her and her wish was wasted? I think that could also make for a good story. Great work once again, and I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie, this was a cute short story! I liked that you changed it up and switched the genders of each character to make it your own.
    I am going to attempt the Let's Pretend feedback strategy from the woman's point of view:

    -- I wonder what would happen if the prince and I had a conversation. I think about what I would have said to him when he came into town that day. Perhaps, I could have persuaded him to stay in town with me. What did he think was lovely about me? Anyway, when the large man asked me to help him, I was not really sure what was so special about this lamp treasure he wanted. An idea that could provide significance of this lamp is if I witnessed the lamp's magic once I encountered it in the cave. I could have had a conversation with the genie, who might tell me what he does. This is enough reason for me to run away with the lamp the man wanted, so that the genie could grant me a wish! I'm glad that I had my fairytale ending with the prince. I'm guessing he was not upset when he found out the truth about me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Dancer, Sophie!

Week 11 Story: Native American Marriage Tales