Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

Story source: The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922).

Fairy Tale: Beauty and the Basilisk

This was my favorite story I read for this weeks reading assignment. I have always been a Disney fan so when there is a tory based on a Disney movie or book these tend to be the stories that I am drawn towards. I think it is because I already have prior knowledge on the stories so I know what has been changed to make the story different. I also am a big movie fan so knowing the movies and how those go draw me into to learn about how the person decided to make this new story their own.

I really liked this story because they made changes that I really enjoyed reading. I liked how they changed the family to being three girls and their mother. I come from a family of three girls so I connected with that very well. I also liked how they changed the part the parent plays and how the mother was going out to get things for her daughters. I think it was interesting how they decided to change it in the sense that they made her stop at the house for the roses she forgot. I liked that change because it showed that she was stopping to get something for her daughter and got in trouble in that sense not that she was just cold and wanted to go inside.

I loved how they had the daughter selflessly go to the castle in order to help her mother. It showed the type of person she was. I also thought it was very interesting how in the end she had to cut off the head of the Basilisk and the serpent to show the true face of the prince and it all ended up working out fo her because she ended up getting to marry the young prince who was worth it in the end.


This is an image of the Basilisk from the story. 

Image Information: Basilisk by Friedrich Johann Justin Bertuch (1747-1822).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Dancer, Sophie!

Week 11 Story: Native American Marriage Tales